Monday, February 9, 2009

Tulips in My Stained Glass Window

In last weeks lecture we got to talking about tulips. I don't know how students that have taken religious studies courses from Calvinists would miss this. Many churches have tulips or stylized tulips in their stained glass windows




Why would they have tulip motifs in their stained glass windows? Well the people at The Center for Reformed Theology and Apologetics offers us the following:

"This system of theology was reaffirmed by the Synod of Dordt in 1619 as the doctrine of salvation contained in the Holy Scriptures. The system was at that time formulated into "five points" in answer to the unscriptural five points submitted by the Arminians to the Church of Holland in 1610. "

The five points are:

Total Depravity
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irrisistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints

So the tulips in your church's stained glass windows are there as a mnemonic to remind you that once upon a time your church was Calvinist (or it still is). 'Nough said.

3 comments:

Danielle Swanton said...

I honestly don't remember ever hearing the "TULIP" mnemonic, but I have heard about each of the five points it stands for. So at least that is familiar!

I was curious what the "U" stood for after last week's class so I went home and did some research on it. It's quite interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes open for Tulips in stained glass windows.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Niki said...

I never heard anything about TULIP either Danielle, until I started going to a Reformed church :)
I guess even though it may be something your church stands for (I am pretty sure Pastor MacLeod would agree with it) The mnemonic itself isn't necessarily something you would hear from the pulpit. I think Peter introduced me to the concept.
We also have a reformation day party on October 31st and we always have quizzes about the reformers etc. TULIP is always a question found there along with the five solas.